Please note: While AAHFN membership is not required to access the educational activities, you must have an AAHFN account. If you don't have an account, click here to create one before registering.
Expiration Date: June 2017
1 Contact Hour ANCC
The purpose of this activity is to enable the learner to differentiate between palliative and hospice care, explore key concepts in communication around these topics, and understand when to provide services to patients living with advanced heart failure.
1. Describe key elements of palliative care
2. Describe foundational primary palliative care skills that are tailored to the heart failure nursing role.
3. Describe supportive & nonpharmacologic interventions to promote quality of life in advanced HF using a holistic model of primary palliative care
4. Describe the palliative care needs of patients being treated with VAD and evidence-based interventions to meet these needs.
5. Identify ways to improve palliative care for all heart failure patients, based on the recommendations of the IOM report on Dying In America
Billie Papasifakis, RN-BC, MSN, AACC
Anita Sherer, MSN, RN, PCCN
Nora J. Brennan, RN, BSN
Planning committee members have no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this activity.
Martha Abshire, PhD(c), RN
Nancy M. Albert PhD, CCNS, CHFN, CCRN, FAHA
Nora Brennan, BSN, RN
David Dwyer, MSN, RN, NE-BC
Judith Deutsch Kornblatt, PhD, MA, SN
Ann Laramee MS ANP-BC ACNS-BC CHFN
Sandra Oliver-McNeil RN, DNP, ACNP-BC, CHFN, AACC
Juanita (Nita) Reigle, RN, MSN, ACNP-BC, CHFN
Faculty members have no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this activity.
ANCC Accreditation Statement
This activity is provided by the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses (AAHFN).
The American Association of Heart Failure Nurses (AAHFN) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Learners are advised that accredited status does not imply endorsement by the provider or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with an activity.
There is no commercial support for this activity.
Requirement for successful completion
Read the issue in its entirety and the accreditation information below; the articles that have the education logo next to it are part of the enduring educational activity The Connection Issue 44 Topic: Palliative Care for Heart Failure Patients. Access the post test, successfully pass it with a minimal score of 70% and submit an evaluation and receive a certificate of completion. Participants who successfully complete this activity in its entirety will be awarded 1 contact hour